I’m looking for manuscripts that capture my interest from the first line and don’t let up!
> I don’t accept queries from previously published books, unless you’re looking to publish in an alternative format (e.g. audio).
> Manuscripts must be over 55,000 words and under 100,000 words.
> Your manuscript should be complete and edited prior to querying.
I’m looking for romance stories with well-developed characters who have powerful motivations for their choices (good and bad) and who send me on an emotional journey. I love quirky characters and humor, but also troubled, broody characters looking for love and/or redemption. I’m interested in all characters including diverse, older, LGBTQIA+, or disabled. Send me something new. No cliché or stereotypical characters or situations.
I love to laugh and swoon in a romance! In romantic suspense, I like to reach a plot twist and say, “Holy cow, I didn’t see that coming.” I truly believe romances are made or ruined by the black moment and grand gesture (grand doesn’t mean big. It should make me swoon).
I represent the following romance categories:
- Contemporary Romance
- Romantic Comedies
- Romantic Suspense/Mystery
- Paranormal/Fantasy romance
- New Adult Romance
- YA Romance
- YA Fantasy
By romance, I mean books in which the relationship between the couple is the primary story and ends with a happily ever after or happily for now.
I love to see romance stories involving:
- Smart, witty banter
- The unexpected, such as gender role reversals or big twists
- Quirky characters and humorous situations
- Smart women, even if they get themselves in precarious situations
- New twists on favorite tropes: second chance at love, enemies to lovers, opposites attract, fake relationship, etc.
- Mermaids or angels, as well as the typical paranormal/fantasy beings (e.g. vampires, faeries)
- Quests and adventures (e.g. Romancing the Stone)
- Re-imaginings or use of myths, folklore and fairytales
What I’m not looking for:
- Historical romance (unless humorous or an adventure such as The Mummy)
- Inspirational Romance
- Romance that involves cheating
- Women’s fiction
- Science Fiction in space
- Genres that don’t include romance as the major thrust of the story (e.g. cozy mystery or horror)
- Previously published works (self or traditionally)
- Anything under 55k or over 100k
- Predicable characters and plots
- Weak motivation and stakes
- Weepy women who need a man to save them. Even if she needs male support, she should be strong.
- Aggressive or overly obnoxious characters. Men can be alpha males and women can have an edge, but don’t overdo it to the point I wonder why anyone would fall in love with them.
- Chemistry stemming only from lust (attraction can be the first sign of chemistry, but it should develop into more)
If you’re an expert either by training or by experience, and have a developed platform, I represent the following nonfiction categories:
- Small/home/online business
- Success-oriented self-help
I’m looking for books that offer more than the basics already printed and provide readers with tangible tips and tools. I’d be interested in niche books such as marketing on TikTok, starting and running a print-on-demand or drop ship business, and freelancing in the gig economy.